Skip to content

Bimodal IT

Blending stability and agility


If 85% of enterprise IT budgets are spent on maintaining and upgrading existing core business systems—that only leaves 15% for new technology innovation. How can you quickly build applications that will differentiate your business and still maintain existing IT? Traditional development models take too long to respond to changing market conditions.  Our mobile-focused digital world demands immediacy and instantaneous response to the demands of your business. How do you deliver both? For many, the answer is bi-modal IT and webMethods Dynamic Apps.

What can bi-modal IT deliver for you?

  • Tight collaboration between IT and Business
  • Low code/no code options
  • Dual modes of development for greater efficiency
  • Empowerment and autonomy for Citizen Developers
  • Increased business agility and responsiveness
  • Enhanced UX


Mode 1 is for your technically trained users who can code the integration and applications. This Mode is typically used with a company’s systems of record applications where the requirements are well known, the systems are stable, and where traditional systematic development approaches are used. Mode 2 is for your non-technically trained users. These are users who understand the business rules that run the organization. They can white board out a process flow and know what needs to happen and when it needs to happen. They know what metrics and reports they need. They know who needs to be notified when things happen. They know what fields need to be present on which forms. This is where a Mode 2 solution will thrive—where there are shifting functional requirements, where experimentation and prototyping is encouraged, and where iterative agile development is used.


Until now, an integrated platform for “Mode 2” development has been missing from the equation. Your LOBs and departmental staff
want more autonomy and control over the development of apps. Giving it to them is easy with webMethods Dynamic Apps. With
webMethods Dynamic Apps you can create apps that are integrated into the business and are based on orchestrated, managed and
monitored end-to-end business processes and workflows. Plus you gain the benefit of speed and agility as Dynamic Apps enable you
to create apps in hours or minutes not weeks and months.

By enabling Mode 2 application development for business personas you can:

  1. Leverage fast visual development of processes and user experiences
  2. Increase use of pre-built interfaces to other systems and service
  3. Leverage existing business object, data and content meta data models
  4. Design, develop and deploy on the same platform
  5. Harness built-in security model and infrastructure
  6. Maximize built-in collaboration for business and developers to exchange ideas
  7. Allow less technical developers and end-users to build applications
  8. Extend functionality with code where required

Software AG’s Dynamic Apps Platform for bi-modal IT can accelerate your company’s digital transformation. By blending the technical
abilities of your IT teams with your business users’ subject matter expertise, you can create more engaging apps that take innovation
beyond expectations.

webMethods Dynamic Apps can serve as your single platform approach for bi-modal IT. It is the single platform to accommodate IT
and LOB personnel at their skill level, many different patterns of applications, different development process methods and it provides
integration into your backend legacy systems.

Did You Know? You can use webMethods Dynamic Apps to enable bi-modal IT for agile application development?

Try if for free

AgileApps Free Trial

The fast path to process-driven applications.

Access Trial


Overcoming Obstacles to Agile Application Development.

Read More

February 22, 2018 / Software AG

Software AG’s webMethods Receives Contract from the Internal Revenue Service

Read More
February 15, 2018 / GovLoop

IT Modernization: Say Goodbye to Legacy Tech

Read More
January 8, 2018 / Federal Technology Insider

Voice Integration Technology and the Federal Government: The Next-Generation of Business Operations

Read More